Saturday 27 October 2007

We are multiplying!


Starting out with only two brave girls we have now multiplied to four. And last time we were six. Maybe there will be eight people there on next Tuesday (though I will sadly not be there since I will instead be on the CS meeting at Asylet.) In just 5000 years all of Oslo will be at the meetings :)

Here are a couple of pictures from the second knitting meeting (or maybe third...? It's getting hard to keep track of the days!

I find that so many people look happy when I bring out my knitting, and there are so many showing an interest in it. For me I like knitting because it is something I am very good at, it is a non-essential recreational passing of time but at the same time you create this beautiful thing. To just see row after row passing, feeling the yarn run through your hands is very meditative. The whole process of picking a pattern (or making one yourself!) Buying yarn and picking out the needles to make it with, and then the first swatch. To do the first few rounds, probably do some small adjustments to the patterns, start over a couple of times. And then the very last row of stitches. Weaving in all the loose threads (the step which usually lasts me a good couple of weeks for some reason) blocking, and then finally holding up the finished piece and be able to say “I did this. This is something I created with my own to hands, and I am proud of it”

It is something quite special.

See you soon again!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wise words, alva, wise words!

Anonymous said...

oh, oh, oh!!! are you still there?
can i please come?..

Aliwa said...

Hi Eva!
I just moved home to Sweden again, but I think that SubScene are going to continue having the knitting club this spring as well! So perhaps you can go to subscene.no and check out the schedule, or go to Subscene in person and see when they are open and all that (Kirkeveien 34)

Best of luck finding out! :)

Rogue Sheep said...

Hello from Vancouver, Canada! I think (crossing my fingers) will be visiting Oslo in June. I am a nearly-life-long knitter (age 30 in a couple weeks and have knit since age 5) and have a thriving "stitch and bitch" group in Vancouver. I would love some advice on yarn shops to visit in Oslo, and comments on the knitting scene in general. All the best to your group! Ashley.